Deeply sweet, intricately rich. Jasmine, date, pistachio, blood orange zest, coconut in aroma and cup. Delicate, sweetly tart acidity; satiny mouthfeel. The resonant, long finish is saturated with deep, continued notes of date, pistachio and coconut.
Processing: Wet Processing & Sun Drying
Altitude: 1200 - 1600 M.A.S.L.
Harvest: November to April
12 oz. Handcrafted Fair Trade/Organic Coffee
Guatemala is Central America’s largest country and it has one of the largest indigenous populations in all Latin America. Known as the country of the “eternal spring” and also as the “soul of the earth”, the 23 Maya groups that spread throughout the country contribute to the rich, colorful culture of this amazing land. Guatemala originally comes from the Nahuatl language Quauhtemalan which means “place of many trees”. When the Spanish tried to pronounce the local name, it derived into the present name, Guatemala. Locals refer to their country dearly as “Guate.”
Located in the Huehuetenango region of Guatemala, ASOBAGRI was founded in 1989 by 20 K'anjob'al Mayan coffee and cardamon farmers. Despite regional political instability and poverty, ASOBAGRI grew steadily throughout the 1990s. The cooperative became certified by Fair Trade Labeling Organizations International (FLO) in 1999.
ASOBAGRI has used revenue from Fair Trade sales to:
• Promote literacy. Approximately 100 students from four communities participate in reading and writing workshops.
• Diversify crops and income. A recent apiculture project has yielded honey that is now sold in local markets. In order to develop alterna tive sources of income, cooperative members have begun intercrop ping banana and citrus trees with coffee plants.
• Support sustainable agriculture. ASOBAGRI trains agricultural pro motors, who teach farmers about organic production methods, such as creating compost from coffee cherry waste.
• Invest in quality control. A new warehouse was recently constructed for coffee storage. The cooperative educates farmers on milling, dry ing, and sorting according to quality guidelines.
• Support healthcare. ASOBAGRI has created a healthcare program that assists member families in covering emergency medical costs.